Photograph: Werner Schmidt

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Busy Peter...

Peter Mallory (on the left) with rowing historian and writer, Chris Dodd of the RRM, which has published Peter's four-volume book.

No one who is interested in rowing history can have missed that rowing historian and writer Peter Mallory has just published his Magnum Opus, the four-volume The Sport of Rowing. His masterwork has been published in two editions, a luxurious and a ‘standard’ edition. The standard edition ran into a little mishap in October; it arrived with an unsatisfactory cover that was still ‘sticky’ which made the copies clue together. (I am afraid this is a common mistake at book binderies, where they pack the newly bound book copies in boxes while the cover is still ‘wet’ – why do they never learn?)

However, in an e-mail Peter reports that 500 sets of his book have now been rebound with perfect covers – hurrah!!! There are now few copies of the standard edition for sale at Richard Way Bookshop and at the River and Rowing Museum, both in Henley.
Richard Way: tel. INT+44-(0)1491-576663
RRM: tel. INT+44-(0)1491- 415600.

Peter has a long schedule of rowing business going on this autumn, winter, spring, and summer. He writes, “Over the next several months I will be available to get more involved with supporting my many California friends and teammates at Long Beach Rowing Association, California Yacht Club, UC Irvine, Orange Coast College, Newport Aquatic Center, UC San Diego and San Diego Rowing Club. My latest book is just the beginning of my efforts to give back to the world rowing community which has been my family for nearly 53 years.

“I will also be coming east frequently from our home in Los Angeles. I look forward to seeing many more friends at the USRowing Golden Oars Banquet in New York on Wednesday, November 30, and to personally thank honorees Harry Parker and Bill Stowe for their participation in my research. From there I will visit the Granby High School Rowing Team in Norfolk, Virginia, where my son Philip coaches. This is what it’s all about, making the world a better place by passing on the life lessons of rowing to the next generation.

“I will be very excited to attend my first Power Ten Dinner on Thursday, January 19 in New York. I will be the featured speaker at the Annual Dinner of the Cambridge Boat Club on Saturday, February 11. This invitation from Bill Becklean, 1956 Olympic Gold Medalist and my good friend, is especially heartening to me 40 years after I represented Cambridge as a lightweight single sculler in Europe. I will attend the National Rowing Foundation Hall of Fame Induction at Mystic Seaport on Saturday evening, March 10. Most of the inductees are recent collaborators on my book. The Friends of Rowing History are also firming up plans for our biennial Rowing History Forum to be held there earlier that same day. […] On May 11-13 I will attend my 45th Reunion at the University of Pennsylvania, and hopefully we can get an eight of old Penn Lightweights onto the Schuylkill waters while we are all gathered. Then there are the Olympic Games….”

A busy schedule, indeed for Peter, but that’s the life of a best-selling author. Well done, Peter!

No comments:

Post a Comment